Facts about Falls and Dizziness
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult (65+) is treated in the emergency room for a fall.
- In 2014, 28.7% of older adults reported falling at least once in the preceding 12 months, resulting in an estimated 29.0 million falls.
- Annual Medicare costs for older adult falls have been estimated at $31.3 billion.
- Approximately 12.5 million Americans over the age of 65 have a dizziness or balance problem that significantly interferes with their lives.
- At least 40% of the U.S. population over the age of 40 is affected by a balance or vestibular problem sometime during their lives.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries among adults aged ≥65 years (older adults). 50% of those who fall do so repeatedly.
- Of all reported falls, it is estimated that 50% are the result of a vestibular problem.
- 5% of falls lead to fracture, accounting for over 300,000 hip fractures annually.
- The cost of treatment for fall-related injuries is estimated at $29 billion annually.
- Many patients who suffer serious fall-related injuries die within 2 – 5 years.
The good news is that falls can be avoided! Understanding potential signs of balance problems will help keep you from becoming a statistic. Check off the items that may apply to you.
Please call if you have questions about your current condition. 336-329-6290